Founded in 1984, NEWH is an international non-profit organization, with 18 chapters and 4 affiliated areas, which links professionals from every facet of the hospitality industry and related fields. The NEWH By-laws state one of the objectives of NEWH is to promote scholarship, education and interest in the Hospitality Industry. To date, NEWH has given $4,400,000.00+ USD in scholarships to young people wishing to pursue careers in the hospitality industry.
$7,500 NEWH ICON of Industry scholarship criteria:
- Must be a currently enrolled student attending an accredited college
- Must have completed half the requirements for an undergraduate degree or be enrolled in a graduate program
- Must show financial need and have eligible outstanding debt for tuition, books or supplies at time of scholarship award
- Must have a 3.0 cumulative GPA/B average or equivalent
- Must be pursuing a career objective in the area of the Hospitality Industry with an emphasis towards the area(s) of hospitality determined by our ICON (criteria changes annually)
- Must have participated in an internship program or similar position
An eligible school is defined as one that is fully accredited and will hold the scholarship moneys in trust for the student to draw down upon on an “as needed” basis without any service charges.
Scholarship opens in May annually with a late-August deadline. Winning recipient must attend November Gold Key Gala in New York. Student travel and lodging paid by NEWH, Inc. (stay tuned 2017)
For more information on the ICON of Industry Award, and to view past ICONS, scholarship recipients, and selection criteria, please click here