NEWH has awarded over $5 million in scholarships to over 2,164 students to date!
NEWH, INC. Vice President/Scholarship
NEWH, Inc. Scholarship Director
Interested in sponsoring a NEWH Chapter or NEWH, Inc. level scholarship?
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org 800.593.6394
Chapter scholarships are awarded annually based upon the following criteria:
- Enrolled student attending an accredited college/program
- Must have completed half your total required credits/units/hours (undergrad degree) or be a graduate student
- 3.0 GPA (cumulative) or overall “B” average or grade percentage of 83% – 86% equivalent
- Have financial need through college for current/upcoming tuition or program approved books/supplies.
- Major and career objective within a hospitality related field (interior design, architecture, hospitality management, culinary, etc.)
Include with your application
- Official Transcript
- Letters of recommendation (for example from): professor, advisor and/or department head
- Letters from industry professionals: past/current employers (does not have to be hospitality specific)
- Student Essay 2-pages, double spaced, 12pt. font to include:
- Background of yourself and your experience
- Your goals and objectives after graduation
- What prompted you to choose this career?
- Contributions you have made to your school program or to fellow students through leadership/participation
- Why is obtaining this scholarship important to you?
- If your application is not accepted, what plans do you have for financing?
- Resume & Intern Essay (only required with NEWH ICON scholarship)
Each chapter compiles a list of eligible schools to which they will offer scholarship assistance. Usually these schools are in the geographical area of the chapter. An eligible school is defined as accredited and one that will hold the scholarship moneys in trust for the student to draw down upon on an “as needed” basis. Applications for scholarships will be sent to the school and returned to each chapter’s scholarship committee for review and selection.Each chapter will award scholarships based on the financial ability of the chapter to fund such scholarship awards. Eligible schools include community colleges, or their equivalents, and the Baccalaureate College and are for students majoring in the Hospitality, Foodservice or related fields.
NEWH, Inc. Vendor Scholarships are graciously funded by the hospitality manufacturing community. These scholarships are administered by NEWH, Inc. and are presented at major national/international trade events.
- Funding to be done by a vendor
- Minimum $5,000 donation (to include additional $1,000 donation for student travel/administrative costs)
- Scholarship name to be chosen by Vendor
- Donor can specify what are of hospitality is accepted for students to apply for the vendor scholarship (interior design, hotel management, etc.)
- NEWH, Inc. Scholarship Committee reviews applications and selects the final recipient based on NEWH scholarship criteria
- NEWH, Inc. and donor determine the venue for the scholarship award presentation
- Vendor or company representative can present the scholarship
NEWH Chapter level Vendor Scholarships are graciously funded by the hospitality manufacturing community. These scholarships are administered by NEWH Chapter and are presented at a determined chapter event.
- Funding to be done by a vendor
- Minimum $3,000 donation
- Scholarship name to be chosen by vendor
- Donor can specify what are of hospitality is accepted for students to apply for the vendor scholarship (interior design, culinary, hotel management, etc.)
- NEWH Chapter Scholarship Committee reviews applications and selects the final recipient based on NEWH scholarship criteria
- NEWH Chapter determines the venue for scholarship award presentation
- Vendor or company representative can present the scholarship at the chapter awards event
- Must be in the name of a member who has contributed to NEWH.
- May be funded separately, initially, after the death of the member and then funded by chapter fundraising efforts, after the original funding dwindles.
- May be given in the name of the member as one of the Chapter Scholarships. For instance, could be given to the most outstanding student and/or in the largest dollar amount.
- May be awarded at Chatper or NEWH, Inc. level
NEWH, Inc. Scholarship Endowment Guidelines
NEWH Inc. welcomes support from various sectors of the Hospitality Industry in the form of donations to the Scholarship Fund and endowment of individual scholarships. NEWH has over thirty years of experience in awarding scholarship funds to students majoring in hospitality related industries making us the best source to distribute corporate and individual donations to scholarship.
The administrative activity of holding scholarship competitions; press/photo opportunities with the winning students; awards dinners; travel/lodging for students – is often not considered in funding an award however these costs must be considered in all future donations.